1. Melanie Martinez is an American singer-songwriter who first gained popularity as a contestant on the third season of the TV show "The Voice" in 2012.
2. Born on April 28, 1995, in Astoria, Queens, Martinez grew up in a musical family and was influenced by artists like Tupac Shakur and Bjork.
3. After leaving "The Voice," Martinez signed with Atlantic Records and released her debut album, "Cry Baby," in 2015, which was certified Platinum in the United States.
4. Martinez's music is known for its dark, whimsical themes and unique sound, which blends elements of pop, alternative, and electronic music.
5. She is also known for her distinctive fashion style, often sporting colorful hair and clothing inspired by children's toys and vintage dolls.
6. Martinez has been praised for her songwriting and storytelling abilities, and many of her songs deal with topics like childhood trauma, mental health, and societal issues.
7. In addition to her music career, Martinez has also worked as a visual artist, directing and producing the music videos for many of her songs.
8. Martinez's second album, "K-12," was released in 2019 and accompanied by a feature-length film of the same name, which she wrote, directed, and starred in.
9. Despite some controversies surrounding her past behavior, Martinez continues to be a popular and influential figure in the alternative pop music scene.